Friday, March 30, 2012

Mirroring and Replication

I'm using replication and want to mirror my publisher to get high availability. As I understand the documentation the principal and the mirror must both use the same distributor instance. So if the distributor fails the replication fails. This seem like a big weakness. Maybe I'm missing some thing. Is there a way to set it up so that replication continues if a distributor fails -- some mechanism that will switch in a "back-up" distributor? I'm looking for a configuration that will continue to run in the event of any single failure. This means that both the publisher and the distributor must be covered by mechanisms that keeps them going in the event of a failure. Mirroring covers the failure of the publisher but I don't see a mechanism that will conver the failure of the distributor.

My application is developed in .net / c#. Data is accessed through .net sql server data provider etc.

The only solution right now is clustering, there's way too hard-coded server names at the publisher/distributor that makes it difficult to get mirroring to work. We're looking at developing other solutions, but they won't be available until after the next SQL Server release. But for now, clustering is your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment