Friday, March 30, 2012

mirroring & backups

Hi,
I have a mirrored databased, which is in FULL recovery mode. I take log
backups every 1 hour and db backups every night. However, the log file keeps
increasing and due to mirroring I can’t shrink the log with shrinkfile. Is
this the recommended set-up for mirroring, am I trying to be too safe? Thanks.
Panos
You might want to try to backup more frequently. See if you have any open
transactions which might be causing log bloat.
DBCC Opentran
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Panos Stavroulis." <PanosStavroulis@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:EDBAC239-0B9A-4A2F-BE3B-D5A2C60A03D0@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have a mirrored databased, which is in FULL recovery mode. I take log
> backups every 1 hour and db backups every night. However, the log file
> keeps
> increasing and due to mirroring I can't shrink the log with shrinkfile. Is
> this the recommended set-up for mirroring, am I trying to be too safe?
> Thanks.
> Panos
>
|||Hilary, are you talking about backing up the log or the database? or both?
There are no open transactions I've checked that before. I assume that when
the backup log happens there are no open transactions.
Do you know how many rows I should get when I do dbcc loginfo? I get 397, 6
are of status 2, 4 rows at the beginning and 2 close to the end. When I
backup manually it goes to 1 close to the end. but always have at least one
row with status 2 close to the end. Thanks.
Panos.
"Hilary Cotter" wrote:

> You might want to try to backup more frequently. See if you have any open
> transactions which might be causing log bloat.
> DBCC Opentran
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
>
> "Panos Stavroulis." <PanosStavroulis@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:EDBAC239-0B9A-4A2F-BE3B-D5A2C60A03D0@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||OK that seems to work fine. Even though my transaction log has stayed the
same size it hasn't increased since I've increased the frequency of the Log
backups. This is what I wanted.
"Panos Stavroulis." wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hilary, are you talking about backing up the log or the database? or both?
> There are no open transactions I've checked that before. I assume that when
> the backup log happens there are no open transactions.
> Do you know how many rows I should get when I do dbcc loginfo? I get 397, 6
> are of status 2, 4 rows at the beginning and 2 close to the end. When I
> backup manually it goes to 1 close to the end. but always have at least one
> row with status 2 close to the end. Thanks.
> Panos.
> "Hilary Cotter" wrote:
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment