Friday, March 30, 2012

Mirroring Failover leaves 2 databases as Principal

We have seven databases mirrrored on our production server. Two of
these failed over, one correctly. The other database is marked as
"Principal/Disconnected" on BOTH the primary and secondary servers. I
can browse the tables in each database. Obviously this is not meant to
happen - one of the databases should be in Restoring mode.Transactions
are only going into the one database - on the Primary server. Has
anyone come across this before? Any ideas on how to proceed?
If I attempt to pause mirroring on the primary server it fails with
the message "The database mirror is busy, re-issue the command later".
I can see this getting really bad if I am unable to (at worst) remove
mirroring from either database due to them thinking that they are the
principal and cannot connect to the other mirrored database.
(both servers on SP2.)On Sep 19, 7:03 pm, Calculated <sarahjco...@.gmail.com> wrote:
> We have seven databases mirrrored on our production server. Two of
> these failed over, one correctly. The other database is marked as
> "Principal/Disconnected" on BOTH the primary and secondary servers. I
> can browse the tables in each database. Obviously this is not meant to
> happen - one of the databases should be in Restoring mode.Transactions
> are only going into the one database - on the Primary server. Has
> anyone come across this before? Any ideas on how to proceed?
> If I attempt to pause mirroring on the primary server it fails with
> the message "The database mirror is busy, re-issue the command later".
> I can see this getting really bad if I am unable to (at worst) remove
> mirroring from either database due to them thinking that they are the
> principal and cannot connect to the other mirrored database.
> (both servers on SP2.)
My plan was to come in and backup both databases and then restart the
SQL Service on the secondary, hoping that the state would change.
However when I got in to check this (maybe 6 hours later), the
database on the Secondary had elevated itself to be the Principal
(connected) and the Primay server's database was Synchronised/
Restoring. Good. I have since manually failed the databases back over
to primary. All seems ok so far but I will need to check this
throughout the day. (Hope no-one else runs into this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment