Friday, March 30, 2012

Mirroring confusion.

SQL2K5
SP1
I am testing out Synchronous Mirroring and have a question about failover.
It seems the only way I can failover to the Mirror box is to log onto the
Principal box and hit the Failover button? Isn't the whole point of
mirroring to be able to handle the Principal not being available? Is there
another way? To clarify, I have no witness and am attempting a manual
failover.
TIA, ChrisRHi Chris,
I believe the option you are looking for is as follows from bol:
1.. Connect to the mirror server.
2.. Issue the following statement:
ALTER DATABASE <database_name> SET PARTNER FORCE_SERVICE_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS
where <database_name> is the mirrored database.
The mirror server immediately transitions to principal server, and
mirroring is suspended.
Regards
Jamie
"ChrisR" <NotAChance@.ms.com> wrote in message
news:O9tTWmHyGHA.4232@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> SQL2K5
> SP1
> I am testing out Synchronous Mirroring and have a question about failover.
> It seems the only way I can failover to the Mirror box is to log onto the
> Principal box and hit the Failover button? Isn't the whole point of
> mirroring to be able to handle the Principal not being available? Is there
> another way? To clarify, I have no witness and am attempting a manual
> failover.
> TIA, ChrisR
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment