Friday, March 30, 2012

mirroring db: communication problem

Hi All
I am trying to test db mirroring. I went exactly as book says: started 2 sql
servers with the same domain accounts, created endpoints. Checked if
endpoints exist and listen - they do.
Than I try to alter test db:
ALTER DATABASE test
SET PARTNER = 'TCP://pc500:5000'
and get:
Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
The server network address "TCP://pc500:5000" can not be reached or does not
exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and
remote endpoints are operational.
pc500 is a partner pc.
I also tried to use full domain name and ip addres. Each time I removed
endpoints and checked from os prompt if anything listens on the port - no.
But no matter what I do, I get this error. I also checked with my sysadmin
if there is any kind of filtering or firewalls - no.
As a matter of fact, pc500 is virtual pc which resides on my pc.
It does not work. I tried replication from 2005 to 2005 - the same problem.
But replication from 2k to 2005 - works painlessly.
Does anybody have clue what's the problem here?Hello,
I supposed you can ping that server, right? :-)
Is the endpoint started? When it is created the default is stopped. Check
state_desc on
select * from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
Always use full domain name.
Check port is correct on sys.tcp_endpoints.
Hope this helps,
Ben Nevarez
"Gene." wrote:
> Hi All
> I am trying to test db mirroring. I went exactly as book says: started 2 sql
> servers with the same domain accounts, created endpoints. Checked if
> endpoints exist and listen - they do.
> Than I try to alter test db:
> ALTER DATABASE test
> SET PARTNER => 'TCP://pc500:5000'
> and get:
> Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
> The server network address "TCP://pc500:5000" can not be reached or does not
> exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and
> remote endpoints are operational.
> pc500 is a partner pc.
> I also tried to use full domain name and ip addres. Each time I removed
> endpoints and checked from os prompt if anything listens on the port - no.
> But no matter what I do, I get this error. I also checked with my sysadmin
> if there is any kind of filtering or firewalls - no.
> As a matter of fact, pc500 is virtual pc which resides on my pc.
> It does not work. I tried replication from 2005 to 2005 - the same problem.
> But replication from 2k to 2005 - works painlessly.
> Does anybody have clue what's the problem here?
>|||Hi Ben
Here is an output from:
select name, type_desc, port, ip_address from sys.tcp_endpoints
select name, role_desc, state_desc from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
name
type_desc
port ip_address
------
---- --
---
Dedicated Admin Connection
TSQL
0 NULL
TSQL Default TCP
TSQL
0 NULL
Endpoint_Mirroring
DATABASE_MIRRORING
5001 NULL
(3 row(s) affected)
name
role_desc
state_desc
------
----
----
Endpoint_Mirroring
ALL
STARTED
Yes, it's started.
In addition to it I found message which looks so innocent:
Login failed for user 'group\user'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
I logged in with that user hundreds times for sure.
"Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> Hello,
> I supposed you can ping that server, right? :-)
> Is the endpoint started? When it is created the default is stopped. Check
> state_desc on
> select * from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> Always use full domain name.
> Check port is correct on sys.tcp_endpoints.
> Hope this helps,
> Ben Nevarez
>
>
> "Gene." wrote:
> > Hi All
> > I am trying to test db mirroring. I went exactly as book says: started 2 sql
> > servers with the same domain accounts, created endpoints. Checked if
> > endpoints exist and listen - they do.
> > Than I try to alter test db:
> >
> > ALTER DATABASE test
> > SET PARTNER => > 'TCP://pc500:5000'
> > and get:
> >
> > Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
> > The server network address "TCP://pc500:5000" can not be reached or does not
> > exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and
> > remote endpoints are operational.
> >
> > pc500 is a partner pc.
> >
> > I also tried to use full domain name and ip addres. Each time I removed
> > endpoints and checked from os prompt if anything listens on the port - no.
> > But no matter what I do, I get this error. I also checked with my sysadmin
> > if there is any kind of filtering or firewalls - no.
> > As a matter of fact, pc500 is virtual pc which resides on my pc.
> >
> > It does not work. I tried replication from 2005 to 2005 - the same problem.
> > But replication from 2k to 2005 - works painlessly.
> >
> > Does anybody have clue what's the problem here?
> >|||Gene,
According to that output the port number is 5001 not 5000. So you should use
ALTER DATABASE test
SET PARTNER = 'TCP://pc500:5001'
Please add the full domain name too.
Please test this and see if it works.
Hope this helps,
Ben Nevarez
"Gene." wrote:
> Hi Ben
> Here is an output from:
> select name, type_desc, port, ip_address from sys.tcp_endpoints
> select name, role_desc, state_desc from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
>
> name
> type_desc
> port ip_address
> ------
> ---- --
> ---
> Dedicated Admin Connection
> TSQL
> 0 NULL
> TSQL Default TCP
> TSQL
> 0 NULL
> Endpoint_Mirroring
> DATABASE_MIRRORING
> 5001 NULL
> (3 row(s) affected)
> name
> role_desc
> state_desc
> ------
> ----
> ----
> Endpoint_Mirroring
> ALL
> STARTED
>
> Yes, it's started.
> In addition to it I found message which looks so innocent:
> Login failed for user 'group\user'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
> I logged in with that user hundreds times for sure.
>
> "Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I supposed you can ping that server, right? :-)
> >
> > Is the endpoint started? When it is created the default is stopped. Check
> > state_desc on
> >
> > select * from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> >
> > Always use full domain name.
> >
> > Check port is correct on sys.tcp_endpoints.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Ben Nevarez
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Gene." wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All
> > > I am trying to test db mirroring. I went exactly as book says: started 2 sql
> > > servers with the same domain accounts, created endpoints. Checked if
> > > endpoints exist and listen - they do.
> > > Than I try to alter test db:
> > >
> > > ALTER DATABASE test
> > > SET PARTNER => > > 'TCP://pc500:5000'
> > > and get:
> > >
> > > Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
> > > The server network address "TCP://pc500:5000" can not be reached or does not
> > > exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and
> > > remote endpoints are operational.
> > >
> > > pc500 is a partner pc.
> > >
> > > I also tried to use full domain name and ip addres. Each time I removed
> > > endpoints and checked from os prompt if anything listens on the port - no.
> > > But no matter what I do, I get this error. I also checked with my sysadmin
> > > if there is any kind of filtering or firewalls - no.
> > > As a matter of fact, pc500 is virtual pc which resides on my pc.
> > >
> > > It does not work. I tried replication from 2005 to 2005 - the same problem.
> > > But replication from 2k to 2005 - works painlessly.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have clue what's the problem here?
> > >|||Ben
That's correct. Principal uses 5000 port for it's own end point, but refers
to port 5001 of the partner. And vice verse.
I am using full domain names but for this post I used short ones. As I said
before, full domain names were tested with ping from both hosts. I also used
ip's in their place.
"Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> Gene,
> According to that output the port number is 5001 not 5000. So you should use
> ALTER DATABASE test
> SET PARTNER => 'TCP://pc500:5001'
> Please add the full domain name too.
> Please test this and see if it works.
> Hope this helps,
> Ben Nevarez
>
>
> "Gene." wrote:
> > Hi Ben
> >
> > Here is an output from:
> >
> > select name, type_desc, port, ip_address from sys.tcp_endpoints
> > select name, role_desc, state_desc from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> >
> >
> >
> > name
> > type_desc
> > port ip_address
> > ------
> > ---- --
> > ---
> > Dedicated Admin Connection
> > TSQL
> > 0 NULL
> > TSQL Default TCP
> > TSQL
> > 0 NULL
> > Endpoint_Mirroring
> > DATABASE_MIRRORING
> > 5001 NULL
> >
> > (3 row(s) affected)
> >
> > name
> > role_desc
> > state_desc
> > ------
> > ----
> > ----
> > Endpoint_Mirroring
> > ALL
> > STARTED
> >
> >
> >
> > Yes, it's started.
> >
> > In addition to it I found message which looks so innocent:
> >
> > Login failed for user 'group\user'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
> >
> > I logged in with that user hundreds times for sure.
> >
> >
> > "Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I supposed you can ping that server, right? :-)
> > >
> > > Is the endpoint started? When it is created the default is stopped. Check
> > > state_desc on
> > >
> > > select * from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> > >
> > > Always use full domain name.
> > >
> > > Check port is correct on sys.tcp_endpoints.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > >
> > > Ben Nevarez
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "Gene." wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hi All
> > > > I am trying to test db mirroring. I went exactly as book says: started 2 sql
> > > > servers with the same domain accounts, created endpoints. Checked if
> > > > endpoints exist and listen - they do.
> > > > Than I try to alter test db:
> > > >
> > > > ALTER DATABASE test
> > > > SET PARTNER => > > > 'TCP://pc500:5000'
> > > > and get:
> > > >
> > > > Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
> > > > The server network address "TCP://pc500:5000" can not be reached or does not
> > > > exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and
> > > > remote endpoints are operational.
> > > >
> > > > pc500 is a partner pc.
> > > >
> > > > I also tried to use full domain name and ip addres. Each time I removed
> > > > endpoints and checked from os prompt if anything listens on the port - no.
> > > > But no matter what I do, I get this error. I also checked with my sysadmin
> > > > if there is any kind of filtering or firewalls - no.
> > > > As a matter of fact, pc500 is virtual pc which resides on my pc.
> > > >
> > > > It does not work. I tried replication from 2005 to 2005 - the same problem.
> > > > But replication from 2k to 2005 - works painlessly.
> > > >
> > > > Does anybody have clue what's the problem here?
> > > >|||Have you applied SP1, or better, SP2?
Is the login failed message from the user who is supposed to connect to the
endpoint? if so, assign connect permissions to the required logins like in
grant connect on endpoint::endpoint_mirroring to [user]
Hope this helps,
Ben Nevarez
"Gene." wrote:
> Ben
> That's correct. Principal uses 5000 port for it's own end point, but refers
> to port 5001 of the partner. And vice verse.
> I am using full domain names but for this post I used short ones. As I said
> before, full domain names were tested with ping from both hosts. I also used
> ip's in their place.
> "Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> >
> > Gene,
> >
> > According to that output the port number is 5001 not 5000. So you should use
> >
> > ALTER DATABASE test
> > SET PARTNER => > 'TCP://pc500:5001'
> >
> > Please add the full domain name too.
> >
> > Please test this and see if it works.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Ben Nevarez
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Gene." wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Ben
> > >
> > > Here is an output from:
> > >
> > > select name, type_desc, port, ip_address from sys.tcp_endpoints
> > > select name, role_desc, state_desc from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > name
> > > type_desc
> > > port ip_address
> > > ------
> > > ---- --
> > > ---
> > > Dedicated Admin Connection
> > > TSQL
> > > 0 NULL
> > > TSQL Default TCP
> > > TSQL
> > > 0 NULL
> > > Endpoint_Mirroring
> > > DATABASE_MIRRORING
> > > 5001 NULL
> > >
> > > (3 row(s) affected)
> > >
> > > name
> > > role_desc
> > > state_desc
> > > ------
> > > ----
> > > ----
> > > Endpoint_Mirroring
> > > ALL
> > > STARTED
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes, it's started.
> > >
> > > In addition to it I found message which looks so innocent:
> > >
> > > Login failed for user 'group\user'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
> > >
> > > I logged in with that user hundreds times for sure.
> > >
> > >
> > > "Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > > Hello,
> > > >
> > > > I supposed you can ping that server, right? :-)
> > > >
> > > > Is the endpoint started? When it is created the default is stopped. Check
> > > > state_desc on
> > > >
> > > > select * from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> > > >
> > > > Always use full domain name.
> > > >
> > > > Check port is correct on sys.tcp_endpoints.
> > > >
> > > > Hope this helps,
> > > >
> > > > Ben Nevarez
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Gene." wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Hi All
> > > > > I am trying to test db mirroring. I went exactly as book says: started 2 sql
> > > > > servers with the same domain accounts, created endpoints. Checked if
> > > > > endpoints exist and listen - they do.
> > > > > Than I try to alter test db:
> > > > >
> > > > > ALTER DATABASE test
> > > > > SET PARTNER => > > > > 'TCP://pc500:5000'
> > > > > and get:
> > > > >
> > > > > Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
> > > > > The server network address "TCP://pc500:5000" can not be reached or does not
> > > > > exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and
> > > > > remote endpoints are operational.
> > > > >
> > > > > pc500 is a partner pc.
> > > > >
> > > > > I also tried to use full domain name and ip addres. Each time I removed
> > > > > endpoints and checked from os prompt if anything listens on the port - no.
> > > > > But no matter what I do, I get this error. I also checked with my sysadmin
> > > > > if there is any kind of filtering or firewalls - no.
> > > > > As a matter of fact, pc500 is virtual pc which resides on my pc.
> > > > >
> > > > > It does not work. I tried replication from 2005 to 2005 - the same problem.
> > > > > But replication from 2k to 2005 - works painlessly.
> > > > >
> > > > > Does anybody have clue what's the problem here?
> > > > >|||Hi Ben
It finaly started working.
The problem was quite simple.
I created end points and tried to alter db to communicate with partner.
Instead of it I had to dump and load partner with db and tran and only than
to finalize it's communication by altering db.
Thank you for your help anyway.
"Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> Have you applied SP1, or better, SP2?
> Is the login failed message from the user who is supposed to connect to the
> endpoint? if so, assign connect permissions to the required logins like in
> grant connect on endpoint::endpoint_mirroring to [user]
> Hope this helps,
> Ben Nevarez
>
>
> "Gene." wrote:
> > Ben
> >
> > That's correct. Principal uses 5000 port for it's own end point, but refers
> > to port 5001 of the partner. And vice verse.
> > I am using full domain names but for this post I used short ones. As I said
> > before, full domain names were tested with ping from both hosts. I also used
> > ip's in their place.
> >
> > "Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > Gene,
> > >
> > > According to that output the port number is 5001 not 5000. So you should use
> > >
> > > ALTER DATABASE test
> > > SET PARTNER => > > 'TCP://pc500:5001'
> > >
> > > Please add the full domain name too.
> > >
> > > Please test this and see if it works.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > >
> > > Ben Nevarez
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "Gene." wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hi Ben
> > > >
> > > > Here is an output from:
> > > >
> > > > select name, type_desc, port, ip_address from sys.tcp_endpoints
> > > > select name, role_desc, state_desc from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > name
> > > > type_desc
> > > > port ip_address
> > > > ------
> > > > ---- --
> > > > ---
> > > > Dedicated Admin Connection
> > > > TSQL
> > > > 0 NULL
> > > > TSQL Default TCP
> > > > TSQL
> > > > 0 NULL
> > > > Endpoint_Mirroring
> > > > DATABASE_MIRRORING
> > > > 5001 NULL
> > > >
> > > > (3 row(s) affected)
> > > >
> > > > name
> > > > role_desc
> > > > state_desc
> > > > ------
> > > > ----
> > > > ----
> > > > Endpoint_Mirroring
> > > > ALL
> > > > STARTED
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Yes, it's started.
> > > >
> > > > In addition to it I found message which looks so innocent:
> > > >
> > > > Login failed for user 'group\user'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
> > > >
> > > > I logged in with that user hundreds times for sure.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Ben Nevarez" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Hello,
> > > > >
> > > > > I supposed you can ping that server, right? :-)
> > > > >
> > > > > Is the endpoint started? When it is created the default is stopped. Check
> > > > > state_desc on
> > > > >
> > > > > select * from sys.database_mirroring_endpoints
> > > > >
> > > > > Always use full domain name.
> > > > >
> > > > > Check port is correct on sys.tcp_endpoints.
> > > > >
> > > > > Hope this helps,
> > > > >
> > > > > Ben Nevarez
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > "Gene." wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > Hi All
> > > > > > I am trying to test db mirroring. I went exactly as book says: started 2 sql
> > > > > > servers with the same domain accounts, created endpoints. Checked if
> > > > > > endpoints exist and listen - they do.
> > > > > > Than I try to alter test db:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > ALTER DATABASE test
> > > > > > SET PARTNER => > > > > > 'TCP://pc500:5000'
> > > > > > and get:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
> > > > > > The server network address "TCP://pc500:5000" can not be reached or does not
> > > > > > exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and
> > > > > > remote endpoints are operational.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > pc500 is a partner pc.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I also tried to use full domain name and ip addres. Each time I removed
> > > > > > endpoints and checked from os prompt if anything listens on the port - no.
> > > > > > But no matter what I do, I get this error. I also checked with my sysadmin
> > > > > > if there is any kind of filtering or firewalls - no.
> > > > > > As a matter of fact, pc500 is virtual pc which resides on my pc.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > It does not work. I tried replication from 2005 to 2005 - the same problem.
> > > > > > But replication from 2k to 2005 - works painlessly.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Does anybody have clue what's the problem here?
> > > > > >

No comments:

Post a Comment