Saturday, February 25, 2012

Migration Access - Sql Server

Hi,
I am new to Sql Server.
I have a development done in MS Access, it is running on a server, splitted BE / FE and replications for we have 5 laptops that run and update the DB offline and then sync to the LAN, when they return to headquaters.
I want to migrate this to them syncing through the internet to a main BE, but I still want them to have an offline version for them to work during the day.
Can this me done in Sql Server? Can I easily re-use my Access development ?
The BE would be in a 3rds party ISP, what would my requirements be?
Cheers
Pata.
Pata,
to be honest I haven't seen the acronyms BE or FE before, but the main
principle is straightforward enough.
You could upgrade all your access instances entirely to SQL Server or you
could use heterogenous replication and have a central publisher at HO which
is SQL Server with remote subscribers which are access. Either way, we are
talking about merge replication, with pull subscriptions. As this is an
internet project, you might find this link useful:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321822.
Please can you post back with the BE/FE descriptions and I might then expand
on things a bit.
HTH,
Paul Ibison

No comments:

Post a Comment