Saturday, February 25, 2012

Migration Assistant For Access Can''t Find SQL Database?

I've installed SQL 2005 Express Addition which created a default database using Windows Authentication -- MachineName/SQLEXPRES. I want to convert some access databases to sql server in the migration assistant, however, when I try to connect the migration assistant to the default database I can't find the database in the drop down box wizard? I'm perplexed? Please shed some light or point me to some articles that will help. Thanks.

It is not practical to use standard Express to migrate Access so see if you can use the one with Management Studio instead, this will give you control of all the steps. Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

|||

Yes, Management Studio is the one I used. I am able to connect via Management Studio, however, the Migration Assistant can't locate it? Looking for other suggestions? Thanks.

|||

Try the eval good for 6 months, you could buy the developer for under $40 online if you have the ram this can help you move Access if all you have is tables and queries. If you have VBA you may need professional help. I have seen Access migration taking six months or more because it lets users add stuff SQL Server will not accept and it uses limited data types.


http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/trial-software.mspx

|||

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "default database" in this context. SQL Server does not create any default databases when you install it.

In my use of SSMS I find that the drop down box that show the database name does not actually show the list of databases in the server because it has not actually connected to the server yet, so it can not list the databases. You can either specify a new database to be created or specify an existing database to open once you connect, but you need to type the name of the database, it won't populate the list for you.

Regards,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment